You have no items in your shopping cart.
Swipe to the left
Italian Meatballs In Tomato Sauce
October 18, 2017 No comments
Meatballs (makes 12)
- 500g beef mince
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish (optional)
- Mix mince, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, pepper and the beaten egg in a bowl. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Leave in fridge until sauce is ready.
- Heat a large fry pan on a medium heat and add olive oil, onion and garlic. Sautee until onion is translucent.
- Mix in the canned whole tomatoes, sugar, salt and bay leaf. Cover and simmer on a low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil and pepper. Then add meatballs and simmer for another 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Posted in: Recipes